Tongkat Ali has exploded in popularity almost single handedly because of Andrew Huberman. He referenced the root in a video about the regulation of male hormones and how it may be able to boost testosterone. Although there are many places that sell the root, it has been largely prohibited from Amazon and many report their products being pulled down from other platforms.
It seems that the substance is being classed as an ‘unauthorised novel food’ in the UK and EU which makes the product unale to be sold without a licence. It got me wondering why governments would want to prohibit the use of this substance dispite studies backing its effectiveness and safty. So we dug into what Tongkat ali is, and what are the benefits!
Let’s get into it.
What is Tongkat Ali?
Tongkat Ali, also known as Eurycoma Longifolia, is a flowering plant that is native to Southeast Asia. It is largely derived from countries around Malaysia, Thailand, and Indonesia. For generations, it has been utilised in traditional medicine to enhance libido, improve energy levels, and alleviate a large variety of health problems.
Interestingly, Tongkat Ali contains several interesting bioactive compounds that are worth talking about. The plant contains quassinoids, alkaloids, and various flavonoids, which are believed to provide a range of health benefits. Research has suggested that Tongkat Ali may help to reduce stress, enhance athletic performance, and improve cognitive function – among other things we will be discussing in more detail.
These days, you can find Tongkat Ali online from a variety of places. Thanks to the restrictions faced by producers of Tongkat ali, it has given rise to black market sellers and those who sell very poor quality products to make exponential profits. Mostly the best Tongkat Ali supplements are found in capsules and is lab tested by a third party.
What are the benefits of Tongkat Ali?
There are a fair few benefits of Tongkat Ali that are most interesting for males. The benefits are thought to be due to its active compounds, which we discussed above, quassinoids, alkaloids, and flavonoids.
So, let’s look at each benefit of the herb and dig into why they work.
- Boosting testosterone levels: Tongkat ali has been found to increase the levels of luteinizing hormone (LH) and follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), which in turn stimulates the production of testosterone. Testosterone is a hormone needed by all humans but is particularly present in males. Those with higher levels of testosterone can benefit from improved muscle mass, a reduction in body fat, and enhanced sexual function. It can also reduce anxiety, increase focus and have huge benefits to a male overall well-being. As we get older, the levels of T lower and this is causing lots of health issues for those in their 50s and 60s. Increase testosterone levels could delay many outcomes from ageing.
- Reducing inflammation: Some of the compounds in tongkat ali, such as eurycomanone and quassinoids, have been shown to have powerful anti-inflammatory benefits. Inflammation is a huge issue within the body, as we get older and if we don’t follow a healthy diet. Sugar is a mass inflammation promoter for example. A substance that reduces inflammation which may be beneficial for people with conditions such as arthritis or chronic pain.
- Improving cognitive function: Tongkat Ali has been found to be a powerful nootropic which means that it can help to improve focus, and cognitive function and will have a dramatic impact on memory and focus. Tongkat Ali in conjunction with Lion’s Mane could be a potent combination. This may be due to its ability to increase blood flow to the brain and reduce oxidative stress.
- Reducing stress and anxiety: Tongkat ali is also an anxiolytic which means that it can help to reduce anxiety and stress levels. It works differently to CBD but has the same effect. It has been claimed that this is due to its ability to modulate levels of cortisol which is a hormone that is involved in the body’s stress response. Very interesting stuff.
- Supporting immune system health: There are some studies have suggested that tongkat ali may have immune-boosting abilities too. That certainly ties in with a boost of testosterone. It is possibly due the fact that Tongkat Ali may increase levels of white blood cells in the body, thus becoming more effective against invaders.
There is plenty of evidence out there to support the benefits of Tongkat Ali, and it seems like an ingredient that could be a fantastic addition to your supplement routine. Whether you’re active in the gym, or getting older and need something to keep your energy levels up, Tongkat Ali could be effective.
There are other similar roots (like Ashwagandha) that are just as interesting and important!